Monday, July 5, 2010

It's All in the Delivery

This past spring while weaving my way through Tiger Stadium in Lakeland I stopped dead in my tracks and looked my enemy straight in the eye. My enemy is the Radar Pitch Machine- you know, throw the ball and it tells you how fast your throw is.
My enemy since childhood, has embarrassed me whenever he's had the chance. He always had plenty of witnesses that's for sure. Who can forget the Cooperstown incident of 1980. I was just 13 years old and rockin' my glove and new hat, I stepped up to the rubber (just a piece of black tape) to dazzle the crowd. I check the invisble runner on first and reach back for my heater, with great accuracy the ball hits the catcher right in the mitt. Waitng on the cheers from the crowd around me I glance at my offical speed of my precious heater. 51 mph. What the f? 51 mph. This can't be, I have smoke coming off my fingers. I throw another. 49 mph. Pissed off I throw my last pitch. 51 mph again. My fans (the attendant and the next kid in line) said I did a good job but the leaderboard showed differently.
My fastest pitch was slower than some 8 year old pitch. Yikes.

Now back to the present day, I fork over my $5 to throw three balls at a Tigers Face. At 42 years old and I'm feeling real good about my upcoming throws. 1st pitch 50 mph, 2nd pitch 48 mph, my 3rd pitch clocked in at 51 mph. To you folk reading that may seem not that all impressive or maybe even sad to another set of you.

For me that throw of 51 mph says that inside this 42 year old's body still lives an ageless 13 year old boy who loves sports.


So I have marveled at some of the truly different approaches to delivering a pitch or ball or whatever that some athletes have taken.

Fernando Valenzuela-
If ever an athlete has said he looks to the lord above to achieve his goals, Fernando gaze to the heavens speaks volumes.
Who didn't love that pudgy screwgie throwing sensation.


Juan Marichal-
He had three arm delivery locations for each of his 4 pitches that I'm sory is a hitters nightmare.
Still to this day, one of the hardest deliveries to imitate playing wiffle ball.
How this man never won a Cy Young Award is a shame.


Kent Tekulve-
The first time I ever saw submarine pitcher.
To me the Dude was weird. He was freakishly tall & skinny, a huge adams apple that you couldn't take your eyes off of and to boot he sported baseball size wad of chaw.
Why he didn't fall down after each pitch is still a mystery to me.


Walter Ray Williams-
Don't know how to bowl? It's easy...watch Walter and copy.
Perfect form, perfect delivery, everytime.
They should honor him with making him the PBA "Logo".
Your welcome PBA exec's.


The Paper Boy- as a prodigal periodical passer, I have executed, many times, the perfect - the up two flight of stairs- over the railing- lean up against the door toss. The euphoric sensation of this accomplishement was always washed away by my next 20 throws nailing the door at 5AM with a loud "THUD!".
So to my delivery boy, rest easy. I have no problem when I find my paper in the bushes or floating in the fountain near the door, I know I'll be the recipient of your perfect toss soon.


Is it me or is it just weird when the pizza delivery guy comes to the door. Are we really that happy to see him? Like he's a long lost friend or a bit more like Santa Claus status. Do you think in pizza delivery training class, when they go to the practice door, they have people screaming "THE PIZZA'S HERE! YES !THE PIZZA'S HERE! That's what we all do right?
I feel bad for the Chinese Food Delivery Guy, he never gets that kind of reaction. Sorry chinese delivery guy.



Brought to you by the sportsfreak

No comments:

Post a Comment