Monday, October 12, 2009

Just Shooting the Rock

Today after work, I will be going out to the driveway to shoot a couple of baskets.
Nothing takes the stress out of the day more that shooting a few rainbow jumpers that swish through the net.

The gym is not the place I like to go, but I know I need too. But for a short hour or two that little hoop in the driveway can make me cry uncle.

We've all heard the legendary stories of basketball players shooting hundreds of shoots every day during their childhood. I can say that I try to do that as an adult.
I go in thinking I'll count the number of shots. But that usually last only half way through the first listen to Kurtis Blows "Basketball".

The Zone- don't you just love the zone. You can't miss anything, your banking them in, your finger roll is working, the lefty shot that never goes in , goes in. We all been there, always want to stay there. But once you start acknowledging it. The zone is gone.

The Crowd Pleaser- Since I moved to our Florida neighborhood I barely knew my neighbors. Nobody gets out much. It's hot here, ok?
I used the hoop theory out on my neighbors. It was pretty simple. Everyday I would go out and shoot some baskets, I would get to see people returning from work, a good day or a bad day. They'd always say hi. I would see the adults riding the bikes around the block, How are you? Kids in the area would always want to shoot.
Before you know it, people are stopping and talking, some just want to take a shot, some to ask about neighborhood. Kids are knocking on the door to see If I'll come out to shoot a few buckets. Still meet someone new every week.
Now it feel like a neighborhood.

The Pied Piper- A bouncing ball makes an echo. Did you know that? You can hear a bouncing ball on the next block. This is a hypnotic sound around my block. The kids come out in droves when the ball is heard. I can be out there for few minutes and along comes Freddy or Malcolm or Shila or Cheyenne or Patrick. just wanting to play the basketball. When it get crazy, you have basketballs,volleyballs, baseballs, dogdgeball and pool balls all heading toward the basket. Kids aren't paying attention. Kids are getting hit on the head. Everyone is having a good time.
Its awesome!

Lucky Charms- who doesn't have a lucky spot on the court from which they love to shoot from. Mine is the middle of the street it lines up along the baseline on the right hand side. Or I choose the corner of the front walk, I have to shoot over a hanging tree limb. On a real court, my shot is just to the right of the free throw line. I am sure If you look hard enough, I've worn out my spot in the street.
It's money is all I got to say.

Time for my last second shot. I really mean the last shot.
Not sure how it got started but since I can remember, it was always bad luck when you left the court and you did not make your last shot. I have said this to so many players/kids/adults and they look at me like I'm nuts. It doesn't have to be a hard shot or from a specific location. Just a nice shot that goes in. To me it's like pleasing the basketball gods. The gods will in return bless us with another day of playing their wonderful game.

Another day , another two points.

That is why I'll always be a sports freak.

No comments:

Post a Comment