Sunday, October 11, 2009

For the Love of the Lane

It's Sunday afternoon and I am waiting to head out for a little shopping but I am keeping everyone waiting because I am watching ladies professional bowling.
No, you didn't read that wrong, Ladies Professional Bowling. In my defense, the one lady finished up with a 279. I don't hear anyone laughing now do I. I didn't... because they have all left me not wanting to wait any longer.

The beginning of my bowling career began at age 11, when I went along with some friends to their summer league. Parents were happy to get rid of kids for a few hours. After a few tag-alongs. I joined as well. My ending average 123, not bad for a novice.

Just like that I'm an addict, I'm hooked. I'm looking forward to my league bowling every week at Brunswick Lanes in Coram, NY. (Happy to see after 30 years the place is still there. I check every time I venture back to the Island of Long.)
I remember walking the 2 miles to the lanes many, many times. I even had to carry my ball. During the winter I was the like the postman, in the rain or sleet or snow, I walked the walk. My bowling ball was so cold when I got there I thought it would crack in half the first time I threw it down the lane.
When I was running late, I would ride my bike. You try carrying a bowling ball while trying to ride your bike. Not easy my friend. Broke about 4 stupid bags. Never cracked the damn ball though. Fell off my bike two times. Come on, as I said you try it.

The bowling alley was my kingdom. I loved everything about it, from the moment walking in the door and hearing some random ball smashing into the pins. POW!
(Still listen for it now.)
Spent a lot of time in the game room, spent alot of time trying to get sneak into the bar (later on in life spent to much time in there.) Spent even more time bowling. Back then games were 3 for $1.00. For $3.35 your league gave you 3 games, shoes, hamburger, fries, drink, cookie and a game token.
Christ a cookie now cost more than that.

I have few questions about the house bowling balls.
Why are there no PINK 16 pound bowling balls offered?
Why do keep the balls that have cracks in them? They don't roll very well.
Who has thumbs are that big?
Where was the Purell hand sanitizer then?
Was a Johnny Petraglia Ball just for lefties?

I have few inquires about bowling shoes.
Why so darn ugly? I wore ones that were blue and green with orange laces.
(The Ladies do not dig you in those shoes, man!)
What the hell is this that spray?
Why no designated wait time before handing those used just turned in shoes to the next guy? Nothing worse than a hot, moist pair of shoes.

Onwards we go, I learned you could get unlimited bowling if you just coached in a junior league. Being the adult age of 14 I joined the coaches of the Bantams. The kids were 5-8 years old. I had the most fun, these kids were just there for the soda and cookies, so I ate lots of cookies and drank lots of soda. My favorite memory of coaching was trying to coach Jayu, (what's up former neighbor!) Jayu was 7, had a vicious hook on his ball, so much that it would hook from on gutter to another. He had a 12 week average (that's 36 games )of a perfect "O" that's right a goose egg. I tried every trick in the book but he probably still goes down as the only kid never to record a single pin knocked down during a summer session. I'll ever forget you for that Jayu, HUSKER DU!

At 16, I ventured into the bowling alley work force, hell if I was going to be there that much, why not make some money (started at $3.65 per hour).
Holy crap! I was now running the bowling alley. First duites included cleaning the garbage cans and ash trays. Yep, smoking was allowed back then, encouraged really, more like a smoke fest. I stunk everyday I worked.
I loved working the desk, now I sprayed those stanky shoes.
I loved the voice of god speaker system. "We have a 180 on lane 16, a 180 on 16!"
I worked the snack bar with Katie. Free food!! Sorry for punching you Katie
I even got to go into the bar area to fill in the ice bins.
I liked to work the Men's League on Wednesday's, the best guys bowled then
The best bowler Mr.Dunkinberger, he was mean bastard and cocky and I swore one day I'd beat that guy. Finally did the next year when I bowled in that league. Just ask his wife.


I bowled all throughout High School, Go Wolverines! Remember a lot of funs times and some good friends.
Tom Kunkel dude was a real good friend.
Steve Kirschenbaum- couldn't figure you out dude, lose the wrist guard.
Ron Mulderig- intense- always intense.
Robbie Benson (didn't you bowl a 279 like that lady. Billy Idol Rocks!)
FYI- I still hate the Centereach Bowling Team. Hatred runs deep man.
I'll be honest the Newfield Girls High School bowling team I remember a little better. They were much better than the guys team.
Karen Dulovic, Catherine Parsons, Jackie DeJesus, Felicia Lago, Judy Prummell, Robyn Mulderig. Damn.. they were even nice to watch. It was tough to concentrate. I remember lots of fun during some of those matches. Bet your all still knockin em dead..

Quick note- The Pro Bowler Tour made a stop on the Island. They stayed at the hotel I worked at. Now Ray is having a heart attack! My bowling heroes, one by one live and in person. Could have died that day! My man crush on Amleto Monicelli was just beginning. Randy Pedersen and family -the nicest ever, Marshall Holman-your short dude. Pete Weber-damn your skinny. Mark Roth- hated you for beating Earl Anthony but a real nice guy. For one week I was in heaven.

I bowled in a number of Men's League for a number of years around the Island of Long, up to four nights a week.
Bowled at Port Jeff Lanes, NY (Congrat's 50 years old),
Sayville, NY- what's up Darren and Dennis? Can we get another pitcher of beer to go?
Even dreadful Centereach Lanes, NY -old and smelly
Good ol' Brunswick Lanes-thanks for the memories.

Now in the tenth frame, I do find it strange even to this day the excitement I feel inside me when I walk into a bowling alley. The time comes for me to throw my first ball... my friends or family are watchin.... my competitive juices start flowing... I always say to my self just then...... It can't it get any better than this!


That's what makes me a sports freak

No comments:

Post a Comment