Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Don't Cross the Line

Why does a line on a field speak to me? They are just lines, some painted on, some stuck on, some frozen, some lines are invisible, some red some blue, most are white, some are curved, some straight, some you never want to touch again, some you can't wait to touch. Lines......

The free throw line on the basketball court in little Bicycle Elementary School was my first encounter with the line. 13 feet 9 inches away fom the hoop. Could have been 8 miles.
I was 4 foot zero, the basketball was twice the size of my head. I tried over and over from that line. Closer to the hoop you could do. The line meant something. Big kids (six graders) could do it , why not me. I remember it being blue, which was perfect because it made me feel blue. Stupid Line.

The Finish Line to me is the line of accomplishment. I remember finishing my first 500 yard dash. 2 minutes 23 seconds. Not bad for the 5th grader. Had the same energy rush finishing my first 5K and my first 10K. I love track and field, just once I wish I ran a race that I had to lunge through the finish line to neck out the runner next to me. It's quite picturesque (photo finish LOL).

Why are there so many lines on the football field? We have alot of them to keep up with. The sideline- where tips toes are very manly. The goal line- where majestic battles of girth are on display every sunday.
Why are they called hash marks? They are lines for chrissakes!
Does the Line Judge keep track of the number of lines? Weird right?

Is it called the fair line or foul line?
I used to draw a line in the sand before getting into the batter box. Stupidstition!
The line drive hit should be an automatic double. They are hit so hard,its just not right , do you hear me Bud?
How fast can you really run the bases staying with in the base lines? Evar Swanson 13.3 seconds. Ray Kubickso (thats me people) 22.4 seconds.
Don't you love the clanking sound of the ball hitting foul/fair pole/line.

The soccer goal line is life or death, dudes get shot for mistakenly kicking a ball over their own goal line.

Did you ever zip line? It feels a little like this:
Nervous...Nervous...scared...scared...I'm falling...God I'm falling...Am I flying...I'm f'in flying... This is so cool!... Yesssss !!


Oh yeah...Line dancing is not a sport.


This is the end of the line folks.
Remember to walk the line people. That means straight and narrow, like a line.. duh!


A sports freak? I am what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment