Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Low Five

I have scanned the,old sports pictures, old baseball cards and TV's 2016 channels for a glimpse of the sacred "low five".

Why has it been hidden for so many years? Who has hidden it? How did it vanish? I have many questions about this. I hope to find the answers to some of them.

The first time I witness the low five was watching a baseball game in 1974.
The game was between the Oakland A's and the (then) California Angels.
I saw outfielder Joe Rudi coming to the dugout after hitting a home run and he eyes Reggie Jackson as if to say "put them out dude!"and Reggie has his two hands stretched out in front of him and Joe slams both of Reggies hands down with his own. Big smiles on both of their faces. That's my Kodak "low five" moment.

The low five was used throughout my childhood. All us kids used it when we crossed home plate, scored a touchdown, hit the game winning basket, or just said something clever.
Hey guys Slap me five, or slap me ten, slip me some skin..too slow.
Those low fives meant more than just celebrations on the field.

You could low five to say hello.
Low five to to say good bye.
Low five to say your sorry.
Low five to promise.
Low five to agree.
Low fives for doing something cool.

I remember Kenny Muccis low five. One of the most enthusiastic guys I have ever known.
He'd hit you so hard , he had hands of stone, I thought my arms would come out of the sockets, arms just laying there on the ground. I always received low fives from him, but also was praying he would take it easy for once. No such luck.
I remember the tingly feeling and the red palms to this day.

So what happened to the lovable low five? Was it banned from sports (those commissioners ruin everything), was a diabolial marketing plan for the High Five in the works? Did the low five become a gang sign?
What?

Dusty Baer and Glenn Burke of the Los Angeles Dodger , were thought to start the "High Five Craze". With the first above the head, one time, one handed, palm to palm slap all the coolness of the low five was just slapped into oblivion.

We have progressed though. We have gone from High Five to Fore Arm Smash to Chest Bump to Fist Pump to now the high performance slap routines.

All the above creations are unique in there own ways and everyone has there own style of giving and receiving. Some people know how to give them and some people should just let the professional do it. I know a dude who broke his wrist because of a forearm smash. Moron!

However, I would most like to see the Low Five revived and live on in sports lore.

We all deserve a second chance, right?

So if you see me from afar and we come to cross paths. Keep you eyes alert and your hands low.

This is what makes me a sports freak. Low five..on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment