Tuesday, August 25, 2009

An Old Ball Game

As I turned on the TV to catch up on the baseball game, the camera view of the game was very interesting. For a total of 26 seconds the screen did not have any stats of the game telling me the essential game info. I didn't know how many out, what inning and most importantly who was winning. There was no continuous ticker running at the bottom of the screen telling me the same thing over and over. Was I in the Twilight zone? Had I gone back in time 30 years?

During this 26 seconds of bliss, it got me thinking to my idea of having a true RETRO Baseball Game. Not the retro games that everybody has done a thousand time before . You know them, the 70's Disco Night, Rockin' the 80's andThe 60's Peace Out has been there a few times as well.

My game would be a retro game from the 1920"s or 1930 era.
Some of things that I would love to see happen for this game would be.

Baggy Cloth Uniforms. The game would stipulate that they be worn correctly. The socks worn to the knee the pants to just below the knee. The belts would be there as well. Aren't we all sick of the new trend that players are looking like they are wearing their pajamas on the field.

Cleats. Cleats should be cleats. Sharp metal ones, not the sissy plastic ones they play with now. The cleats worn in the day by players were all the same. No company sponsored shoes. Not for basketball looking cleats . Black with black laces, simple.

The Reporters/Photographers. I would love to see the reporters sitting in the stands with the paying patrons. The seats are where you really feel the action of the game. Reporters could get a great stories just listening and watching the fans. Not the booth half way up the stadium and to boot it is sound proof. Reporters would have to carry a pad and pencil, have their Official Report ID on the suit or hat.
Photographers, I know you are around the field level already but wouldn't it be cool to be out on the field around home plate , ten or so feet from the batter or on the foul line during then game. Using your old time cameras,even those tripods that look 6 feet tall.
I would love to see that.

Concessions: This is the easiest. Make the cost equal the 1930's.
Make sure that the Game Program has a scorecard is included.
I am sure a hot dog company would love to sponsor the 5 cent dog night.
Double goes for the beer company.
Oh yeah, no sushi, no quesadillas, no wraps, no chicken and brocolli dinners, no cotton candy
Just concession food from the 193o's

These seem like some good ideas until I thought what I think may be the best

FANS. All attending guests must dress to impress.
Yes ladies you should be in a dress and lovely hat. An umbrella to protect you from the sun. Sunglasses weren't around then.
Dudes!! the Dark suit ,ties and shoes along with the hats that were the rage then.
No jerseys.No jeans. No sneakers . No freaking business casual wear allowed.
Stadium staff would have the right to turn you away if you came inappropriately dressed.


I hope that I have the opportunity to take in a ballgame like the one describe above.

We can all dream.

That's what makes me a sports freak.

1 comment:

  1. I like this:) I like you ended the blog in a neat way.

    ReplyDelete