Thursday, September 3, 2009

National Anthem

Please rise and remove your caps before reading.

You know me....I am the person next to you shhhushhing you or telling you to remove your hat or stopping you from taking another bite of your hot dog because our national anthem is going to begin . In my world....the best part of the game is not actually part of the game.

From the many sporting events I've attended in my life, from AAU T-Ball Championships to The SuperBowl, they all have this magical connection for me. I have even stood , hats off, hand over heart, all alone, watching the anthem on TV in my house.

The Star Spangled Banner. Just say it again. That's pretty cool right?

We all have our favorite way the anthem should be sung, played or interpreted.
No way is better than the others but some are definitely worse than others.
I'll give you my worst versions:

Carl Lewis-still hasn't made it up to us.
Rosanne Barr- should have been shot and killed on site.
R. Kelly- lamest version ever. People were dancing to this. That's right dancing!
Michael Bolton- couldn't sing this and still can't sing.

Here are my favorite versions:

Whitney Houston- Pure Power
Jimmi Hendrix- 3rd on my Ipod play list.
Carrie Underwood- her voice is just as pretty as she is.
Marvin Gaye 1983 All Star game- THE BEST EVER!! THE COOLEST!! THE SMOOTHEST!!

Maybe I am just sensitive, yep I am not scared to say it, but I get emotional every time it is played. We're talking stomach aching, eyes tearing, wanting to scream it out loud emotional.
I'm sure there is no other song that I have ever heard that makes me feel that way.

I have 25 different version of the song on the Ipod machine thingy.
I have 10 versions of O'Canada. Don't hate the neighbors up north.
How about 15 version of God Bless America. (Ronan Tynan is awesome)
5 version for America the Beautiful
Now you know.

When did the fly-byes begin? I wish they started sooner.
The songs buildup , the entire stadium looking skyward waiting in anticipation....the planes soaring overhead....deafening....unbelievable.
If anyone says they dislike this, they'd be lying.

So there you have it. The next time you are asked to stand for your national anthem.

Stand up straight, Sing out loud, Sing with pride and know I'll be singing with you.

That 's why I'm a sports freak.

No comments:

Post a Comment