Sunday, March 21, 2010

Guy from Jersey

The sports jersey has taken on a few different meanings as I take a ride on my sports journey. There seems to be jersey phenomenon going on that I am not quite sure if I should join or just be afraid of. Just last week at the supermarket I saw a grandma wearing a Lakers Jersey, Kobes no less. Since when has it become popular with Nana and Papa to wear what the kids are wearing.
I have owned just one jersey in my life. Congratulations to ESPN. Your were the chosen one. Not that I didn't want to wear the Magics, Bird, Jordan , Jackson's or Gretzky jersey. Just never really needed one that bad.

There a few reasons that I kind of shied a away from the Jersey thing. My first was a crazy superstition that if I bought say a Michael Jordan jersey, he would get traded the very next day. I know it was weird, but remember I am a sportsfreak. Who knew he might even retire.. to play baseball (stupid Whitesox jersey ) or unretire with a new number (#55 really?) and/or play for another team (The Wizards, should've stayed the Bullets). So how many vintage one of kind Jordan jersey's would I have now. You get the point.

Some do it just to change their image..wait ..all of them do it to change their image. We are talking about changing their jersey number. My mom would wash my mouth out with soap if I wrote what I think of that. Kobe, past # 8 present #24 did it to make every one forget his rape , sorry his alleged rape. Sorry Kobe not everyone has forgotten. The worst part is the NBA doesn't even care. Kobe "8" jersey sales were tops every year. People in other countries had his jersey. Why would the NBA allow him to change the number. We associated #8 with Kobe, no one else. Now who wears the # 8 jersey? I'll give you a million bucks if you can.
We now have Lebron James who wants to change his jersey number from 23 to 6. I honor of the greatest player James knew.. Michael Jordan. Nice gesture but a slap in the face to Bill Russell. Did he forget that basketball was played before 1984? WTF is everyone going to do with their #23 jersey. You wouldn't be caught dead at the arena with an old, ratty, clearance bin #23 James jersey would you?
Come on NBA have a backbone on this one.

Major League baseball has gotten it right. Teams can retire numbers as they see fit. The Ring of Fame, the Outfield Wall, the Monument Parks. Each stadium has their own unique way of honoring their hometown stars.
Baseball itself has showed honor and respect to Jackie Robinson's #42.

How to create fan loyalty for your program. Create 480 jersey combinations for your fans to choose from. Thank you Oregon for going out on the deep end. Here is my version of a Ducks fan in their bedroom on Saturday morning.
Should I wear the home or away jersey today. That cuts it down to 240 choices.
Do I feel the green or black or white or yellow one matches my jeans today. OK, now only 60 choices.
Did they say it was going to a "stripe out" at the stadium? Horizontal? vertical? animal? Just 20 left.
Cotton or polyester? 10 left.
Short or Long sleeve? 5 left.
Numbers or no numbers number. 2 left.
Names or no name?
I GOT THAT ONE.. finally!!!


Mad love to everyone who sports a jersey of the player they once loved to watch play. From the big stars (Stan Musial, Hank Aaron, Joe Namath) to the cup of coffee players (my favs are Wesley Walker, Kevin Maas and Rennie Stennett.


The sportsfeak will always be stylin"

No comments:

Post a Comment