Sunday, March 21, 2010

Anticipation

We have all spent a few hours watching our favorite sport. Sometimes we have the television on just for background noise and others times it is to scrutinize events happening every 5 seconds. But there comes a time in every sport that capture the heat of the moment..the time to check one's self... the second that has everyone waiting in anticipation that will decide the final result. This exact moment has us feeling many diiferent types of emotions,depending on which team /sport you are rooting for/against. This moment in sport is usually declared by one sentence that draws us in. I've listed a few of my favorites below. I hope they are some of your as well.



"It's a high fly ball, deep to right....."
Visions of Chris Chambliss and Kirk Gibson always come to my mind when I here this.


"He breaks the tackle, he is at the 40,the 30,the 20,the 10...."
Why do I always end up standing in the middle my living room, heaving out of breath like I was just running with the guy.


"Down the stretch they come...."
I watch 3 races (the Triple Crown) every year. But I would watch a hundred more races if I heard those words. The networks have never figured this out.
Shout out to the Zombies at OTB.


"He shoots!! He..."
Thank you for all those buzzer beaters. MJ, Reggie (I still hate you) and most of all me. I can't tell you how many times I hit the game winning shot in my mind by throwing a piece of paper into the trash bin or my milk carton in the the garbage.


"The kick!! He..."
All I can say is GGGGOOOOAAAALLLL!


"The Bell lap (DING DING)"
The Wanamaker Mile at MSG, RUN Eammon Coglin RUN!


"Match Point"
Can it get any quieter at a Tennis Match?


"He needs 9 pins to win, it's in the pocket...."
Don't think I'm kidding, your palms are sweaty , your feeling weak in the knees, the ball suddenly weighs 100lbs, why is he lane so skinny? There's as much pressure as in any sport.


"And now for her dismount...."
Knowing that all her training has ultimately come down to her jumping off a piece of wood 4" wide, then turning 2.5 twists and and 1.5 somersualt in mid air while landing as soft as a feather. That, truly deserves my attention.


"Save and a Beauty...."
The Hockey puck is so hard to see, this is usually when I wait for the instant replay to realize exactly what I thought I think I saw. I think.


"He rounds third and heading for home, here comes the throw, he slides...."
I once pushed my Mom out of the way to see a Red Sock get thrown out at home.
Hey, it was a Red Sock. Sorry Mom.



"I'll write again soon..."
Keep reading the sportsfreak

No comments:

Post a Comment