Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Fan of All

Today someone asked me who my favorite sport team is. For the millions of sports fans this is the easiest question in the world to answer. Can't tell you how many people just blurt out the Yankees because it's the in thing right now. For all you posers who now love the Minnesota Vikings, you couldn't name five starters on the team 2 years ago.

I have to process the question before answering it. I have to take account for whom I am talking to, where are they from, where I am at the time of asking, who else is in the area, and I am thinking about the reaction of person asking the question.
See ..I have issues.

I want to be the fan of every team. Ok, that is a little selfish but why can't I have it all. I do not jump on the bandwagon once a team start to improve and does well. I have been a passenger on that train the whole time. I may not have bought the priciest seat on the train and I may have been sleepng every once in a while but I know where the train has been and where it is going. Every team, if you look hard enough has something to be a fan of.

You can call me "Switzerland of Sports"- Good luck to the Swiss Team playing in the World Cup this year. Too bad Spain will school them in Group H.
Not too much, not too little... see?

When I was younger, I rooted for different teams for a number of reasons.
I rooted for the Houston Astros because the uniforms were god awful ugly, but mesmerizing to me. I rooted for the Tampa Bay Bucaneers (still do to this day) because of the Buccaneer on the helmet and the really cool creamsicle uniforms. So they went 0 for their first 26. But when the finally won a Championship in 1997, I took part in celebrating as well.

Being from New York I will always have a special place for my fav's:
the Mets (from Wayne Garrett to Greg Jefferies to Straw to Wright, time to win!
the Jets (Wesley Walker dude could run, not catch but run. Sack Exchange
the Knicks ( Ernie Grunfeld through Pat Ewing to the D League team playing now.
the Islanders (4 Cups in a row. Now John Tavavers will lead us?
the Giants (in da 80's,I'd given my right arm for a passing game. run,run,run, punt.
the Yankees (from the bleacher creachers to the $2500 a seat. The YANKEES WIN!!!
the Rangers (Mess, thanks for the bringing the Cup to us.)

I am a sucker for a cinderella story. Give me you down on their luck team who comes back to win it all. Your weak Division II team going against the big bad BCS team.
Give me your displaced team finding a new home. Your gently used player "past his prime" having one last season.

I hope that I have secured my peaceful place on the planet, Fandom.
On planet Fandom you can root for anyone , any team, for any reason, at any time.



Come join the sportsfreak, all are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment