Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pick Me ! Pick Me !

Last week I signed up for friendly tennis tournament, signing up about 1.5 hours before the event. Warmed up relaxed and feeling loose for my match, time comes to play. Ray is not listed to participate. What?!! 64 players signed up. I know I signed up. But to no avail, I was the 65th. The Tennis Nazi announces "NO TENNIS FOR YOU!". Not sure how this could have happened, but it did. So as respectful as I could be leaving the court, I hit a ball over the fence, took my racket and went home. I think Johnny Mac would have asked me for a bit more.

I haven't felt that slighted since finding raisins in my Trick or Treat bag.

A close 2nd was last month when a guy at the Y decided he didn't want me as his 5th for a game. (Me? I'm channeling Kiki Vandeweghe, his loss.). Got him back when he asked me this week to play so he could get a run in and I told him I was not interested. Loving every minute of him sitting on the bleachers as I drained a few more practice shots. Karma!



Ultimate slights:

Being the last pick in dodge ball- if you wore glasses it was an automatic.

Having a girl being picked before you (a boy!). Boy o boy , have you got problems.

66th best college basketball team. So the teams record is 14-17. It still hurts.

Having your High-Five attempt go un-recognized. There is no smooth way to bring your arm back down and hope that no one saw you get dissed.


Even the elite of sports have their own ways of telling players about their shortcoming but try to say it in the nicest ways possible.

He is a "grinder" or "scrappy" player= fields his position...can't hit worth a damn.

That player has "intangibles" = very smart...not very talented.

A fine "complimentary" player =
you want to be a.. your never going to be a...you never were a... STAR.

A "Serviceable" big man = you take up space nicely.

A "Smart" base runner = if you run any slower, you will go backwards.

A "Utility" man = 10 more years of playing for 10 more teams around the league.

A "Middle Relief Man"= pitchers purgatory.
Can't go more than 3 1/3 in a start.. can't close a close one.




the sportsfreak WANTS YOU to keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment